We know that your family is always at the top of your priority list. Our programs help you save money to give you peace of mind by ensuring that your children are taken care of while you’re at work.
Watch! This video to learn about how to save on dependent care costs.
Flexible spending accounts, or FSAs, save you money because you can pay for eligible expenses with tax-free dollars.
How It Works
- You must re-enroll every year.
- You decide how much to contribute to your dependent care FSA—from $26 to $5,000 per year (including Intuit’s contributions). Note: If your spouse also has access to a dependent care FSA, your total combined contribution may not exceed $5,000. If you are married and file separate tax returns, each spouse may contribute $2,500.
- If you’re a regular employee working 20 or more hours per week, Intuit will match your contributions to your dependent care FSA, up to $650 per year.
- Your contribution will be deducted from your paycheck before federal, state, local and Social Security taxes are withheld.
- The plan year is August 1–July 31. Expenses must be paid for and used during the same plan year. You have until October 31—three months following the end of the plan year—to submit claims for reimbursement.
- If you enroll during the year, be sure to prorate your contribution for the number of pay periods remaining in the plan year (August 1–July 31).
Eligible Day Care Expenses
You can use the dependent care FSA to pay for the day care of:
- Your dependent children under the age of 13.
- Dependents of any age who are incapable of self-care, live with you at least eight hours a day, and are claimed as dependents on your income tax return.
Eligible day care must:
- Be provided while you (and your spouse, if you are married) work, look for work or attend school full time.
- Be provided in your home by an eligible provider or at a licensed facility. You will not be reimbursed for residential or "sleep-away" care, nursing home care, or for babysitting when you are not at work.
- Not be provided by your spouse, a child of yours under age 19, or any dependent you claim as an exemption on your federal income tax.
For a full list of eligible expenses, see IRS Publication 503, Child and Dependent Care Expenses.
Dependent Care Tax Credit
Expenses that are eligible for the dependent care FSA can also be eligible for a tax credit on your federal tax return. Keep in mind that you cannot claim the same expenses for the dependent care FSA and the tax credit. Talk with your personal tax advisor to determine which alternative is best for you.
Watch! This video to get help finding care options for adults and children.
Whether you’re experiencing a breakdown in your normal child care, looking for an after-school sitter, have adult/elder care needs or just need someone to walk the dog, Bright Horizon offers two options:
- Bright Horizons Back-Up Care Advantage® for short-term or last minute needs—Full-service, subsidized back-up care you can rely on for temporary child care, adult care and elder care when you need to be at work.
- NEW! Bright Horizons CareDirect® for long-term or ongoing needs—Resources and discounts to support your whole family, including nannies, sitters for evening elder care resources, planning and referrals; pet sitters; housekeepers and homework help. Discounts and preferred enrollment access for regular, center-based child care are also available.
This program is available to all regular full-time and part-time employees working 20 hours or more a week.
Short-term or last-minute needs
How Can Backup Care Help?
Bright Horizons can find you emergency backup care when you need to be at work and your normal arrangement is not available or a need suddenly arises. For example, school is closed after a snowstorm, your nanny is on vacation, your child is mildly ill (has a fever, diarrhea or rash) or your parent who lives in another state suddenly becomes ill. You are not able to use backup care for evening or weekend babysitting services.
How Much Does Backup Care Cost?
You’re eligible for up to 20 backup care days per calendar year for each person needing care. Care is available for your dependent children and immediate family and your spouse’s or domestic partner's immediate family. You pay by credit card, debit card or electronic funds transfer (EFT) at the time you make your reservation:
- For center-based care, you pay $20 per day for one child ($30 for two or more).
- For in-home care, you pay $7 per hour, for both child and elder care (with a four-hour minimum).
The maximum (20 visits per dependent, per calendar year) applies to both center-based and in-home care.
Pre-Register to Use Backup Care
To use the backup care service, you must pre-register by either:
- Calling 1-877-242-2737
- Visiting the Bright Horizons Backup Care website (username = intuit; password = 4backup)
Long-term or ongoing needs
Bright Horizons CareDirect is for your personal, anytime needs. This program easily connects you with options for more regular and long-term care needs—as well as care for evenings, weekends and even pets.
You make the arrangements directly with providers and pay the provider. Care is not subsidized by Intuit.
With CareDirect, you get additional family support, including:
- Babysitting, nannies and housekeepers: Free Sittercity account that gives you access to a comprehensive database of in-home care and services. You can post an ad for a position, search candidates and perform free basic background checks.
- Center-based care: Special VIP discounts when you choose a Bright Horizons child care center for your regular ongoing care. You get preferred enrollment and a registration fee credit. At other select partner centers, you receive tuition discounts and won’t have to pay registration fees for your toddler or preschooler.
- Elder care: Guidance in helping you find the right ongoing elder care solution for your needs. You have access to educational resources, planning referrals and support services to help you find in-home companions or facility-based care.
- Pet sitters and dog walkers: Access to a comprehensive network of resources for your pet (through Sittercity).
- Tutoring, test prep and homework help: Access to high-quality tutoring and test prep services (online or in person) to help your children in grades K-12 succeed.
Visit the Bright Horizons website to learn more and get started.